Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Week One (Point One): Holiday-Leftover Eggs

photo.JPGAdmittedly, I am not a breakfast person. 

I am, however, a big fan of brunch. 

After the holidays, there was a wide range of seemingly disparate ingredients- shredded frozen potatoes from a failed latke experiment, many half eaten blocks of cheese, ham- left over in the fridge and freezer. I thought the best way to use them all up would be to make one egg dish thingy and call it a day. 

Really, you don't need the recipe. This is just a reminder that when you all kinds of weird odds and ends just mix them into some eggs and they will work it out.

For anyone interested, here's what I did:

First, I buttered the bottom of a small (toaster over friendly) baking pan. Then a put a layer of the frozen potatoes on the bottom of the pan, drizzled some melted butter over the potatoes and let them bake at 400 for about half an hour. (I should have left them in there for a while longer so they could have gotten crispier, but the edges were burning. Sigh.)

Then I sauteed a small dice of half a red pepper, half a green pepper, and half a medium onion. I combined these with some diced up holiday ham and a TON of leftover cheese. (I had sharp cheddar, gouda, and something without a wrapper- I am thinking it was very low end parmesan.) I mixed this all with six eggs, a few splashes of milk, some salt and pepper and then pour it on top of the potatoes. Back into the oven (now at 300) for about 40 minutes.  About half way through I added some of the reserved shredded cheese to the top. The eggs were already set up so the it formed an admirable cheese crust.

So yeah. Nothing fancy. But we had some brunch and now there is more room in the cheese drawer. Win win.

No comments:

Post a Comment